Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Irish Car Bomb Cake!

Let me start by saying I love Irish car bombs.  On my twenty-first birthday one of my sorority sisters bought one for me and I've loved them ever since.  In general, I'm a fan of most stout beers whether they are brewed over coffee, chocolate, vanilla beans, etc; I like the full-bodied taste.  Guinness is not one of my favorites, but whoever thought to combine it with a shot of Bailey's and a touch of Jameson is a genius.

As always, I'd been eying a few new cake recipes, so when my mom needed a birthday cake for her office I jumped at the chance.  We settled on a Guinness Chocolate Cake with Bailey's Buttercream frosting.  And oh my goodness, did it turn out deliciously.  Try this recipe!

Irish Car Bomb Cake
Guinness Chocolate Cake
(adapted from this recipe)

1 cup Guinness beer (or any stout beer of your choice)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used classic Nestle)
2 large eggs
2/3 cup low-fat sour cream
2 cups Splenda sugar blend
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 9inch round baking pans very well.

In a saucepan, bring the beer and butter to a simmer over medium heat.  Once the butter has melted, add in the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.  Let cool slightly.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sour cream.  Mix in the slightly cooled Guinness-chocolate mixture.  Add in the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix until combined.

Pour batter evenly into both round pans.  Bake until a tester toothpick comes out clean.  This fell between 35 and 45 minutes for me; however, begin checking after 30 minutes to make sure it doesn't over-bake.  Cool completely in pan.  Once cool, turn over one pan and pop out the cake to frost the top.  Pop the second cake out, place on top of the first and finish frosting.

Bailey's Buttercream 
(originally found here)

1 cup butter (2 sticks) - room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbs Bailey's Irish Cream liquor 
2 tsp vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Frost your cake!           

No comments:

Post a Comment